http://i1061.photobucket.com/albums/t468/ziedarling/momicon001.png

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Frugal Meal for Hot Wednesday

Yes, it was hot and sticky again here in Massachusetts. Mid-afternoon came and I needed to decide what to make for supper. Finances are tough right now and I am using us what is left in my cupboards and freezer and trying to be creative with what foods are given to my family. My husband is a pastor and our church is suffering through the financial crisis. So, I decided to make chicken soup.

Here is my different chicken soup recipe that my Italian friend "Chris" gave to me years ago and my family loves it. The recipe can be changed if you only have certain ingredients.

1 roaster chicken
2 jars of Ragu
cellery
carrots
onion
chicken bouillon
spices-salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion salt, and any type of seasoning you prefer
garlic fresh if you have it (I used jar garlic about a good TBS of it)
rice or pasta

Put your washed roaster in a pot and add water to 3/4 filled pot.
Let boil and simmer till chicken is cooked and you have a stock. Add more water if it evaporates. Mine does. Remove your chicken to cool. Add cut up celery, carrots, and chopped onion. Add about 3-4 chicken bouillon, spices and fresh garlic. Now that your chicken is cooled, take it off of the bones, add it to the pot, add two jars of Ragu (I like this the best) and add quite a bit of salt and add pepper. You can boil rice or pasta in another pot, and then add to soup.

This soup does not take long except for the chicken to cook and the carrots and celery to tenderize. After that, it is nothing for the other items to be added. This soup tastes the best if you start it in the morn. Eat it with parmesian cheese and a loaf of Italian break, french bread or biscuits. Yum

Enjoy with your family



No comments:

Post a Comment