http://i1061.photobucket.com/albums/t468/ziedarling/momicon001.png

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Antiques-Georges of Methuen





I from time to time (don't get me wrong, I would be at George's all the time picking, but the economy called the recession and our finances just won't permit me to) stop at George's. I probably ride by often, even when he is not opened to see what he has new outside. Oh, if I could only peek under all of the tarps and plastic or go into one of his buildings that is filled. I peek inside the windows and get my imagination going on how women and men used these items many years ago. Why would I want these in my home or garden? I don't know, they are just so full of character, color, and shabbiness.

I don't use everything for what it was originally used for. I change it around a bit. Perhaps I add it to a three dimensional collage or mixed media project. I may set it on one of three fireplace mantels in my small 1900 humble little home. You see, I am not great with my hands in construction; fixing walls, ripping up carpet, breaking down walls. I wish I could and I wish I had someone to help me with these back breaking jobs. So, I decorate and hang and switch pictures, and decorations from one room to the next. It keeps my house fresh and different. It is like a work of art but different.

I also like to see how an ordinary object of 50 to 100 years ago, can be used in one of my bedrooms.

Right now, I have a white crib post in my bathroom hanging on a wall. Connected to that is a wreath in the shape of a heart with silk flowers hanging on the post with a ribbon. I have my antique fan that I bought from George on my wood-burning stove, just waiting for the hot weather:) Will I spray paint the fan, probably not. That shabby grey reminds me of when I was a little girl. My mom had a small radiator heater that was the same color grey that she would put in the bathroom to keep it warm on Saturday nights when I was taking a bath and Jackie Gleason was on the tube.

No comments:

Post a Comment